Friday, December 21, 2012

Ocean Waves

As with many of my blog topics, this may not be the most original idea you have ever heard. But I am going to try to give it my spin, and I hope it resonates with you like it does for me.

I love the sound of ocean waves. I love the crash and fall, I love their comforting consistency, and I love the ripples that they make. I sat out on the beach the other day with my sister, and I recalled memories of waves and the way to predict them. Short answer is: I can't. I always try to predict how far up they will come. I place my toes solid in the sand and wait for the water to wash over me. The water then comes just a little too short. So then I move in a lot closer, and it gets all of my feet and ankles wet. Rarely do I time it just right, so the water brushes across my toes and makes me smile. 


Then there are my escapades boogie boarding. I often found myself knocked over at the knees by an unexpected crash. Or I would stand in shallow water, disappointed that I was not more soaked. I simply cannot seem to find the perfect timing for the waves. Maybe this means I need to spend more time in the ocean, for research and such. I would gladly make that sacrifice. Or maybe, as I hope you understand, the waves are simply unpredictable. Like the weather or the fashion choices of Lady Gaga, they are hard to precisely determine. The wandering beach-goer, like myself, simply has to take her chances with the water.

Now, I hope you know where I am going with this. Every day is like a wave. You think you have it figured out, and then suddenly, it crashes in an unexpected way. My man JGL best explained it in 500 Days of Summer :


You think you have your day figured out. You wake up with a plan, and then it suddenly goes an entirely different path. Expectations v. Reality. We have to learn to be alright even though life does not fit our expectations. Reality can sometimes bite. But that is o.k. No person can exactly predict the future. We are all just wandering beach-goers, trying to figure out the best place to stick ourselves in the water. 

So, here is  my challenge to you. Go ahead, and stick your toes in the sand. Be adventurous. Take risks. I'm warning you, you may get knocked over at the knees. You may be tossed around, and it may hurt. But it will be worth it in the end. There is always something better around the corner, just like Autumn for JGL or the perfect moments when the water brushes your toes just right. It will  And that is the musing of a marvelous me. 


No comments:

Post a Comment