Sunday, January 27, 2013

Vocal Valentines

         As a preface, I tend to get really excited about holidays way too early. I believe Christmas music has an exciting ring in October, I have a strong craving for Cadbury Easter eggs in February, and I start thinking of Red, White, and Blue in June. So, you will have to indulge my excitement and love for Valentine's Day.

        I know that Valentine's Day is just a Hallmark Holiday. I know the true origins of my sickly sweet holiday. But I love it anyways. I attribute my dedication to this holiday to Vocal Valentines, a grand tradition at my high school. Every February 14th, you could buy your special someone, friend, or secret crush a valentine to be sung to them in the class of your choice. Members of the choir would be excused from their classes to go around the school and perform the purchased songs. The serenade would include a personalized note, a chocolate, and sometimes even a rose. I was in way too many choirs for my own good, and so the day was magical. Armed with good friends and a pitch pipe, I would get to visit classrooms all over the school, sing to an unexpected student, and bask in the joy of Valentine's Day. I would get all dressed up, pass out those third grade valentines to all of my friends, and walk with a spring in my step. It was the absolute best of the day of the school year. The video above is Eartha Kitt singing one of my favorite songs we would sing.

            My true personal enjoyment from the day came from making other people smile with a song or a card, but I must admit: I loved that moment when someone came in, and everyone waited with baited breath, hoping it was them. Being the recipient was something special: You were Glen Coco for the day. No one wanted to be Gretchen Wieners. I was Glen Coco a couple of times, and it was magical. Have you noticed that I really, really loved Vocal Valentines?
            So, this year, I miss Vocal Valentines. I am nostalgic for that happy, hope-filled day. So, I am going to start a couple of traditions of my own. I will host a Galentine's Day party, and I will spend Valentine's Day with nothing but happiness and hope. And that is the musing of a marvelous me. :)












           What will you be doing for Valentine's Day? What are some of your favorite Valentine's Day memories? Please comment and share below.

No comments:

Post a Comment