Thursday, December 13, 2012

This I Believe

In honor of my English 423 final I am taking today, I would like to share with everyone my anthology writing piece.


This I Believe
            “Is it hard to raise a kid?”
            “I wouldn’t know. My wife takes care of her.”
            “And your wife always has dinner for you when you get home?”
            “Ya.”
            “Wow. Being married sure must have its perks.”
            As that last sentence floated across the partition between my office and their study room, I swear a passerby would have seen steam coming out of my ears. I was incensed, and at the same, saddened, by the conversation I had just overheard between these two men. Part of me could not believe that neither of them understood the real meaning of marriage, especially given their obvious lack of respect for both the mother and the daughter. Another part of me, my feminist side, wanted to jump in and defend both women. I wanted to march over there and ask these two men how they could be so insensitive. I believe in the equity of women and men, and I believe that both sexes should be respected and valued equally. Overhearing conversations like this just continues to demonstrate how far we as a world still have to go.
            I have always been interested in women and women’s studies. Whenever an English professor would assign a critical analysis paper, I would almost always choose to do a feminist critique. Gender relations, definitions, concepts: all of these fascinate me. But it was not until my junior year of college that I began to fully articulate these beliefs. After a culmination of experiences in which I was belittled or discriminated against because I was female, I began to search my soul. Does God love his children equally? Are men and women equally in importance and purpose? I came back from this experience with a resounding answer. Yes. God cares for all his children equally, regardless of gender, race, color, or culture. I realized I needed to pursue Women’s Studies because I wanted to expand my knowledge and work for a world of parity and peace.
            I believe that feminism is essential to the world. I believe that feminism means the pursuit of equality for all people. I know that people misinterpret the word ‘feminism’ daily, thinking it means I want to burn my bra and push men away. When I tell some men that I am a women’s studies minor, they usually smirk and say, “So am I.” That used to drive me crazy. But I now I just ignore it and realize that means they just do not understand the true meaning of feminism. It means loving all people because they are people. It means looking past gender stereotypes and not expecting your wife to have dinner ready when you get home. It means liberating all individuals. I believe in feminism because I believe in the power that comes from respecting all people equally.


No comments:

Post a Comment